As the leader of the firm's probate, estate and trust administration team, Ed Trio works with individuals and families to meet both current and long-term financial and asset-protection goals. These goals are met by coordinating:
- income, estate and gift tax planning at the individual level
- creating trusts for younger generation family members (whether born or unborn)
- trusts for disabled family members
- premarital agreements at the family level
- agreements among shareholders, partners, and members of limited liability companies
- management succession planning at the entity level
- post-mortem planning
Ed, who is also a Certified Public Accountant, has been named an Illinois SuperLawyer and an Illinois Leading Lawyer in the area of Tax Law.
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law, LL.M., Taxation, with honors
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., Accountancy
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association, Taxation and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Merit Badge counselor and former scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America
- Illinois State Bar Association, Federal Taxation and Trusts and Estates Sections
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented high net worth individuals in negotiating premarital agreements to protect family owned business assets and children from prior marriages.
- Represented trustees in resolving disputes with beneficiaries.
- Assisted owners of a closely held business with the buyout of family members no longer active in the operation of the business.
- Recovered the assets of a decedent’s estate removed by financial fraud and, working in close association with law enforcement officials, assisted with the successful criminal prosecution of the offender.
- Represented individuals before the U.S. Tax Court, resulting in significant reductions of tax assessments by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represented numerous estates in audits of federal estate tax returns.