John Byrne is Gould & Ratner's Chief Marketing Officer, a role drawing upon his unique combination of experience as a practicing lawyer, marketing and sales director, professional journalist and publisher, career coach and recruiter, and small business owner. As CMO, his top priority is leading and supporting the firm's growth and delivery of unparalleled service to its clients.
John has spent more than 25 years in the legal profession, with much of that time devoted to helping lawyers attract new clients and engagements. He has particular skill in writing, marketing communications and public relations, as well as business development and traditional sales. John's most valuable skill, though, is his ability to connect with lawyers and clients alike, listening to them and understanding their needs to create strategies for success.
An active participant in the 3,500-member Legal Marketing Association, John is a thrice-selected member of its international board of directors, currently serving as an at-large member. He has also served as President of the group's Midwest Region, as well as co-executive editor of LMA's Strategies magazine in 2015-16 and as co-chair of LMA's Annual Conference in 2014.
John earned his law degree from Loyola University Chicago and his bachelor's degree from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, where he was the editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern. For the past few years, John has served as chair of the board of directors for Students Publishing Co., Inc., the independent nonprofit entity that owns and operates The Daily Northwestern.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, B.S.J., 1990
- Legal Marketing Association, 1997-present
– Member, Board of Directors, 2001-2002, 2020-present
– President, Midwest Region, 2019
– Co-executive editor, Strategies magazine, 2015-2016
– Co-chair, Annual International Conference, 2014
- Students Publishing Company of Northwestern University, Inc.
– Alumni member, Board of Directors, 2015-present
– Chair, Board of Directors, 2019-present