As a member of Gould & Ratner’s Construction Practice, Patrick Johnson focuses on construction transactions and litigation matters. Pat provides strategic counsel to a wide range of owners, developers, general contractors and subcontractors pertaining to construction contract drafting and negotiation, project delivery methods, and litigation and claim resolution.
Patrick has been named to U.S. News Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” list for 2023.
Before joining Gould & Ratner, Pat was an associate at another large law firm focusing on construction matters. Additionally, Pat worked as an attorney for a large Chicago based engineering firm where he had been previously employed as a structural engineer for over five years. As an engineer, Pat has worked on commercial and power generation projects both in the United States and in Dubai and is currently a licensed professional engineer in Illinois.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2012
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.S., Engineering, 2007
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Engineering, 2006
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Chicago Bar Association
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a property development and management company in construction contracts drafting, including service, consulting and vendor agreements.
- Represented several single family home builders in drafting and negotiation of construction and residential contracts.
- Represented a property development and management company in reviewing claims on large scale lighting defects and dispute resolution.
- Assisted legal counsel for a radio station in preparing and negotiating remodel, construction and tenant improvement projects.
- Assisted a construction company in a mechanic liens resolution.
- Assisted a property development and management company with drafting and negotiating various service agreements.
- Represented one of the nation’s leading home builders in drafting pleadings pertaining to insurance coverage issues and alleged construction defects and argued motions for summary judgment on obligation to defend by insurer.
- Represented a real estate development company in mediation and arbitration related to facade defects.
- Represented an owner in a mechanical liens settlement.
- Represented a senior living community in preparing various construction form templates for projects.
- Represented a leading expert in mining digital currencies in preparing construction agreements related to a bitcoin mining facility.
- Represented an owner in litigation and eventual settlement involving construction disputes involving construction of a medical facility.
- Assisted a property development and management company with drafting and negotiating an electric bus contract.
- Assisted a property development and management company with pre-construction and construction agreements for a large commercial project.
- Drafted contracts for a multi-unit rental remodel project.
- Represented a hotel operating company with contract drafting and negotiation for a hotel room remodel.
- Represented the owner of a fully-restored loft building in reviewing insurance provisions.
- Represented a publishing company in drafting construction and equipment installation agreements.
- Represented a subcontractor in mechanic liens litigation.
- Represented a fast food retail chain in construction contracts drafting and review.
- Represented a property development and management company in negotiating fitness center agreements.
- Represented a developer in drafting general construction and sale templates.
- Gould & Ratner Named to 2023 U.S. News Best Lawyers and “Ones to Watch” Lists, August 18, 2022
- JD Supra Recognizes Gould & Ratner Lawyers Among “Top Ten Construction Authors” for 2021, March 7, 2022
- Seven Gould & Ratner Attorneys Elevated to Partner, December 1, 2021
- Construction Practice Welcomes Patrick Johnson, November 11, 2019
- Bringing Manufacturing Back: Tips for Planning a Successful Factory Construction , March 6, 2023
- Updates to Chicago Energy Transformation Code Address Climate Change , February 21, 2023
- Forecast for Insuring Commercial Solar Panel Installations: Partly Cloudy , September 15, 2022
- Innovations in the Pre-Fabricated and Modular Construction Sector , September 8, 2022
- 10 Tips to Improve Construction Site Project Communications , August 22, 2022
- 6 Questions Every Owner Should Ask When Planning High-End Residential Construction , June 8, 2022
- Not So Fast: What to Consider Before Terminating Your General Contractor , March 28, 2022
- The Case for an Owner’s Representative , December 9, 2021
- IRS Notice Provides Relief for Renewable Energy Construction Projects , July 26, 2021
- Constructing a Data Center: Understanding the Key Issues , May 26, 2021
- Best Practices for Addressing Rising Construction Material Costs , April 26, 2021
- Let the Sun Shine: Best Practices For Solar EPC Contracts , March 23, 2021
- COVID-19, A New President and Economic Uncertainty: What to Expect in the Construction Industry in 2021 , February 1, 2021
- Construction Issues and Opportunities During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond , December 14, 2020
- The Second Wave: Anticipating and Preparing For New Covid-19 Construction Shutdowns , December 9, 2020
- Best Practices for Coping With Project Modifications, Suspension and Termination During the Age of COVID-19 , July 13, 2020
- Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Engineering and Construction Industry , May 27, 2020
- Identifying and Managing Construction Risks During the Coronavirus Pandemic , April 20, 2020
- Best Practices for Construction Site Safety During the COVID-19 Pandemic , March 25, 2020
- City of Chicago Confirms Construction as Essential Infrastructure, Exempt From Stay Home Order , March 22, 2020
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker’s “Stay Home” Order: The Impact on Construction , March 21, 2020
- Preparing for a Construction Project Shutdown During the Coronavirus Pandemic , March 20, 2020
- IN-DEPTH UPDATE: The Impact of COVID-19 on Construction - Best Practices for Coping , March 16, 2020
- The Impact of Coronavirus on Construction: How To Prepare , March 5, 2020