As a member of Gould & Ratner’s Construction Practice, Patrick Johnson focuses on construction transactions and litigation matters. Pat provides strategic counsel to a wide range of owners, developers, general contractors and subcontractors pertaining to construction contract drafting and negotiation, project delivery methods, and litigation and claim resolution.
Before joining Gould & Ratner, Pat was an associate at another large law firm focusing on construction matters. Additionally, Pat worked as an attorney for a large Chicago based engineering firm where he had been previously employed as a structural engineer for over five years. As an engineer, Pat has worked on commercial and power generation projects both in the United States and in Dubai and is currently a licensed professional engineer in Illinois.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2012
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.S., Engineering , 2007
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Engineering , 2006
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Chicago Bar Association
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a property development and management company in construction contracts drafting, including service, consulting and vendor agreements.
- Represented several single family home builders in drafting and negotiation of construction and residential contracts.
- Represented a property development and management company in reviewing claims on large scale lighting defects and dispute resolution.
- Assisted legal counsel for a radio station in preparing and negotiating remodel, construction and tenant improvement projects.
- Assisted a construction company in a mechanic liens resolution.
- Assisted a property development and management company with drafting and negotiating various service agreements.
- Represented one of the nation’s leading home builders in drafting pleadings pertaining to insurance coverage issues and alleged construction defects and argued motions for summary judgment on obligation to defend by insurer.
- Represented a real estate development company in mediation and arbitration related to facade defects.
- Represented an owner in a mechanical liens settlement.
- Represented a senior living community in preparing various construction form templates for projects.
- Represented a leading expert in mining digital currencies in preparing construction agreements related to a bitcoin mining facility.
- Represented an owner in litigation and eventual settlement involving construction disputes involving construction of a medical facility.
- Assisted a property development and management company with drafting and negotiating an electric bus contract.
- Assisted a property development and management company with pre-construction and construction agreements for a large commercial project.
- Drafted contracts for a multi-unit rental remodel project.
- Represented a hotel operating company with contract drafting and negotiation for a hotel room remodel.
- Represented the owner of a fully-restored loft building in reviewing insurance provisions.
- Represented a publishing company in drafting construction and equipment installation agreements.
- Represented a subcontractor in mechanic liens litigation.
- Represented a fast food retail chain in construction contracts drafting and review.
- Represented a property development and management company in negotiating fitness center agreements.
- Represented a developer in drafting general construction and sale templates.
- Best Practices for Construction Site Safety During the COVID-19 Pandemic , March 25, 2020
- Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Engineering and Construction Industry , May 27, 2020
- Construction Issues and Opportunities During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond , December 14, 2020
- COVID-19, A New President and Economic Uncertainty: What to Expect in the Construction Industry in 2021 , February 01, 2021
- Let the Sun Shine: Best Practices For Solar EPC Contracts , March 23, 2021
- Best Practices for Addressing Rising Construction Material Costs , April 26, 2021
- Constructing a Data Center: Understanding the Key Issues , May 26, 2021
- IRS Notice Provides Relief for Renewable Energy Construction Projects , July 26, 2021