Dan Crowley represents owners, operators, investors and lenders in nearly all aspects of commercial real estate transactions.
Dan has helped his clients acquire, finance and lease commercial properties in and beyond Chicago. He advises investors, owners and operators in the leasing and management of their commercial, retail, and industrial real estate holdings, from working with property managers on operational issues, to assisting leasing agents on both the landlord and tenant side. Dan’s experience touches virtually every property asset class, from major downtown office buildings to shopping centers and multi-tenant retail.
Currently, Dan represents 601W Companies, one of the nation’s leading private real estate investors. As the new owners of the long-vacant Old Chicago Main Post Office, Dan helps advise 601W on a variety of matters relating to the $800-million restoration of the historic structure, including the acquisition and renovation, building code issues with the City of Chicago, historic tax credit financing, refinancings, and negotiating office and retail leases for the building.
Dan also guides his clients in real estate finance issues, including assisting borrowers with complex financing, traditional debt, bank loans, commercial mortgages, CMBS loans and historic tax credit financings. Dan also has experience with tax increment financing, and traditional mortgage and asset based lending.
In addition to his real estate practice, Dan is also a member of Gould & Ratner’s Construction Practice and has experience negotiating construction contracts.
Dan has been named to U.S. News Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” list for 2022. Dan is actively involved the greater Chicago real estate community and a member of several industry organizations including participation on the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Public Policy Committee. Dan is also a regular member of ULI, the Real Estate Investment Association and the Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association.
Dan volunteers his time to several civic and community groups, including as a member of the Young Professionals Board of the Boys & Girls Club of Chicago. Dan also actively supports Special Olympics Chicago, Special Children’s Charities and the Toys for Tots Foundation.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2015
- DePaul University, B.S.B., Economics, 2010
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section Real Estate Law Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Real Estate Investment Association
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Public Policy Committee
Key Cases or Transactions
- Negotiation of COVID-related lease workouts on behalf of landlords including an improvisational comedy enterprise, one of the nation’s fastest growing fitness chains, a Chicago based restaurant and tavern and a specialty apparel retail chain.
- Negotiation of leases, on behalf of 601W Companies, for the Old Chicago Post Office, including Uber, Walgreens, PepsiCo, Abelson Taylor, Federal Home Loan Bank, CBOE, Home Chef, TrueBlue, and a food court operator.
- Advised lender on $5 million credit facility for an air purification systems manufacturer.
- Advised adaptive reuse investor/developer in acquisition, construction financing and leaseup of various retail properties in Chicago’s Fulton Market District.
- Lead leasing and property management counsel for properties consisting in excess of five million rentable square feet of office space in downtown Chicago.
- Dan Crowley Wins Connect CRE “2022 Next Generation” Award, Connect CRE, May 24, 2022
- Seven Gould & Ratner Attorneys Elevated to Partner, December 1, 2021
- Gould & Ratner Named to 2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers and “Ones to Watch” Lists, August 20, 2021
- Dan Crowley Appointed to ULI Chicago Public Policy Committee, July 28, 2021
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the Recent Illinois Ruling on Force Majeure and COVID-19 , October 1, 2020
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the Recent Illinois Ruling on Force Majeure and COVID-19 , June 29, 2020
- Opportunity Zone Program Offers Attractive Tax Benefits for Long-Term Investors , November 6, 2018
- Construction Pricing Models – Choosing an Appropriate Pricing Arrangement , LexisNexis , March 18, 2018
- Underground surprises: When You Find Human Remains or Culturally Significant Artifacts on Your Construction Site, Stop, Call and Preserve , Law360 , February 22, 2017