Gould & Ratner LLP is seeking a Senior Associate to join its Corporate Practice. The ideal candidate will have at least six years of experience with transactional and corporate governance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate structure (formation and reorganization), corporate contracts (operating agreements, license agreements, employment/compensation agreements, service contacts, buy/sell agreements, distribution agreements etc.), joint ventures, divestitures, venture capital and private equity, technology transactions and corporate finance/bank lending.
Candidates can look forward to a practice that will include handling all aspects of complex transactions for sophisticated clients of all sizes and across industries. This attorney will gain direct client interaction, business development experience and significant responsibility on complex and sophisticated legal matters. This is an excellent opportunity for an attorney who is highly motivated and seeking a positive career trajectory.
Please note that this role allows a flexible work schedule with a hybrid remote/in-office presence.
- Experience drafting transaction agreements and documents with efficiency and clarity, negotiating deal terms, managing transaction closings and processes and providing thorough factual and legal research and analysis.
- Experience working with angel investors, investment syndicates and venture capital firms to assist in the formation of special purpose vehicles, investment clubs and venture capital funds, is a plus.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate has the ability to work as part of a team while also having the confidence and demeanor to assume individual responsibility for matters involving direct client interaction. This attorney will serve as business advisor to clients, guiding them in a full range of legal matters throughout their life cycle.
- A degree or background in business or finance is a plus.
- Candidates must be currently licensed in Illinois or licensed in another state with a UBE score that qualifies in Illinois for comity, be eligible to waive in, or be willing to sit for an upcoming IL bar exam (open to relocation candidates that meet these requirements).
- Commitment to mentorship, training and professional development with an achievable path to partnership. When you join Gould & Ratner, you are not just getting a job – you are building a career. You will work together with G&R colleagues and partner with clients to hone your skills as a business lawyer.
- Opportunity to step into meaningful client relationships and be a key component of the Firm’s succession plan.
- Low turnover, collegial, and collaborative environment.
- A dynamic culture that prizes thinking outside the box.
- Health care, life and disability insurance.
- Competitive compensation, benefits package, and a generous 401k plan.
- Employee discounts and wellness programs.
- Hybrid in-office/remote role based in our Chicago office.
About Our Corporate Practice
Gould & Ratner’s Corporate Practice provides clients with sophisticated legal and business advice in areas ranging from business formation through business succession or the sale of a company. We counsel institutions, executive teams, funds, prominent family business owners and entrepreneurs on a variety of complex domestic and foreign transactions and business law issues including:
- Legal entity formation, reorganization and governance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Private equity, venture capital and debt/financing
- Operating agreements
- Licensing agreements
- Executive, employment and compensation arrangements
Our Private Equity and Venture Capital Practice is unique among Chicago law firms, with a skilled and experienced team of corporate lawyers who work closely with some of the nation's largest and most prestigious private equity funds and venture capital firms, as well as numerous entrepreneurs, startups, emerging companies and closely held businesses.
Representing funds, investors in funds, family offices and other dynamic businesses, our team has extensive experience in negotiating and documenting their investment in private companies, including early stage, growth stage, later stage, recapitalizations, workouts and management buyouts. Our experience includes representing these clients as lead investors, as well as in structuring and executing platform, add-on and other acquisition and sale transactions. We also represent a large number of funds, founders and management teams in connection with venture capital financings.
G&R’s clients span a variety of industries, including: technology and media, high-tech manufacturing, transportation, automotive sales and distribution, consulting and professional services, software design and development, digital marketing and strategy, consumer packaged goods, banking and financial services, sports and entertainment, health life sciences, ESG, environmental and social consciousness, clean energy technology, cryptocurrency and blockchain.
About Gould & Ratner
Gould & Ratner is an 80-year old Chicago law firm with a team of over 50 attorneys, representing Fortune 500 corporations, closely held businesses, financial institutions, entrepreneurs and family businesses in diverse and complex matters throughout the world. Our team consists of a deep bench of sophisticated and experienced attorneys that provide exceptional legal services while affording our clients the benefits of working with an agile and entrepreneurial-minded team of result-oriented, well-rounded professionals.
In this ever-changing and complex world, Gould & Ratner remains one of the few truly mid-size law firms in Chicago. Thus, while our work is as sophisticated and complex as the mega firms, our focus on tailored service is something only a smaller firm like ours can deliver. This allows us the unique ability to employ our multi-faceted approach to legal service for clients of every size and in every industry. For example, our attorneys handled the $800 million redevelopment of Chicago’s Old Post Office and the $840 million purchase of the Sears (now Willis) Tower. We have handled more than $10 billion in corporate transactions in the past decade and argued cases before a number of appellate forums, including the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Illinois Appellate and Supreme Courts.
Gould & Ratner is focused on building the next generation of leaders in law. When you join Gould & Ratner, you are not just getting a job – you are building a career. We provide our attorneys with the training, professional development, mentorship and advancement tools necessary for a thriving legal career.
Our associates have the opportunity to work in a professional, challenging and collegial midsized environment. Because of the diverse nature of our clients, our attorneys gain exposure to sophisticated corporate and real estate transactions, complex litigation and intricate estate/wealth management planning. Like the individuals and businesses we represent, our lawyers are skilled in a number of technical disciplines, have an entrepreneurial focus, adapt quickly to changing market conditions and provide excellent client service and value.
Applicants should submit their resume to Arielle Pankowski (Attorney Recruiter) at email@example.com. Please feel free to contact Arielle with any questions at (312) 899-1631.
Gould & Ratner is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, creed, medical condition including pregnancy, disability, genetic information, gender identity and expression, marriage or parental status, sexual orientation, or Veteran’s status.