Real Estate Local Counsel
The Real Estate Practice at Gould & Ratner acts as local counsel to some of the world’s most prestigious law firms and their clients in Chicago, its suburbs and downstate Illinois. Our lawyers have handled real estate matters of all types and sizes, and we can provide the advice and expertise clients need to be successful in the sometimes-confusing but always-dynamic place we call home.
Our real estate lawyers and professionals know and understand Illinois real estate law, as well as the local regulations, customs and practices that can sometimes be a minefield for the unwary or unfamiliar out-of-town lawyer and client. In fact, we're one of the top 20 "Best of the Best" law firms in the Midwest, as ranked by transaction volume, by Midwest Real Estate News for 2019. Working with our own sophisticated client base gives us the experience to handle large-scale and complicated matters, as well as the ability to integrate seamlessly into any client engagement under the direction of the lead counsel.
As local counsel, we usually focus on providing the following services:
- Legal opinions on Illinois law
- Local real estate due diligence
- Assistance in local matters involving title, zoning, transfer taxes and bulk-sale laws, among others
Additionally, we can also help with:
- Closing local transactions and/or briefing on local customs
- Local compliance review of loan/closing documents and contract review
- Real estate tax issues in Illinois, especially in Chicago/Cook County
- Advice on implications of union labor contracts for owners/buyers
- Corporate tax issues
To discuss how we can help you as local counsel, please contact one of the members of our local counsel team listed below.