As a member of Gould & Ratner’s Corporate Practice, Ammara Khan focuses her practice on corporate law matters, assisting businesses with legal entity formation, raising capital, both private equity, venture capital and debt/financing, and various restructuring, redemptions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate lending, joint ventures and related matters. Ammara also assists from a general counsel perspective by drafting and negotiating service contracts, buy-sell agreements, distribution agreements, as well as working on incentive plans for attracting key management.
Ammara maintains involvement in the clean energy industry, working with both financing parties and operating entities in the clean energy, environmental and social consciousness industries on matters related to waste heat recapture and solar energy. Ammara also works with various technology companies and entities in the decentralized finance space.
After earning her J.D. from Case Western University School of Law, Ammara worked in Big Four consulting with Ernst & Young and PricewaterhouseCoopers where she took part in large the structuring, reorganizing and tax planning of large scale M&A transactions. In addition, Ammara has previous experience in working for a private practice tax law firm specializing in individual tax matters in Washington, D.C., and spent six months clerking with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Ohio State University, B.S., Accounting , 2011
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a Denver-based laboratory that specializes in gene testing and clinical trials in the $20 million sale of their business.
- Acted as general counsel for a digital currency mining company, including working with publicly traded companies, contract drafting and negotiation related to cryptocurrency mining and other general service agreements.
- Represented several private equity funds and investors in early stage/startup companies in fund formation, negotiation and drafting of investment and financing documents.
- Represented a real estate investment group in fund formation and setting up a qualified opportunity zone fund.
- Represented a Chicago-based private equity firm in the $15 million acquisition/purchase of a South Dakota based clean energy agriculture company.
- Represented a healthcare company that focuses on using AI technology for cancer research in a series A round including drafting and negotiation of documents, diligence and execution of closing.
- Represented an individual in the $3 million purchase of an international IP company.
- Represented the seller in the $3 million sale, corporate restructuring and merger of a company to a healthcare staffing firm.
- Represented an urban rooftop design company in the acquisition of an urban landscaping and exterior garden design business, which expanded their services by adding more than 70 new clients and skilled personnel.
- Represented a laboratory testing business based in Boulder, CO in a sale transaction for $22 million.
- Represented an investment advisory firm in a $15 million Series C investment round for a solid-state battery technology company.
- Represented a real estate portfolio investor in fund formation, advice and documentation for the formation of their second Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund.
- Represented Navier, a specialist in the design and construction of cryptocurrency mining facilities, in the negotiation and execution of a strategic agreement for Argo cryptocurrency facility in West Texas.