As an experienced commercial litigator, Eric Sparks routinely assists clients in the resolution of their disputes through client counseling and ultimately trials, binding arbitration proceedings or private mediation.
Clients appreciate Eric’s thoughtful yet practical approach to resolving disputes, and he is skilled at counseling businesses on how to avoid litigation. For those cases that do end up in a courtroom or before an arbitration panel, Eric is a passionate and experienced advocate for his clients’ interests.
Eric handles a wide variety of complex matters for middle-market and family-owned businesses in a diverse range of industries, as well as high net worth individuals. His experience includes:
- Commercial litigation, including breach of contract, unfair competition and fraudulent conveyance
- UCC disputes, including breach of warranty and fraud claims
- Real estate litigation, including investment disputes, and claims arising from leases, easements, foreclosures and other matters
- Construction matters, including mechanic’s liens, bond claims and contractual scope/change orders
- Product liability, including design defects
- Trusts and estates disputes
- Tax controversy matters before the IRS
- Appellate litigation
Having been recognized as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Illinois Super Lawyers, Eric is an active member of the American Bar Association. For years, he has served as an editor for the newsletter of its Construction Litigation Committee, and has previously served as co-chair of the Subcommittee on Mediation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., Raymond Scholar
- Northwestern University, Ph.D., Philosophy
- Northwestern University, M.A., Philosophy
- University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignB.S., summa cum laude, psychology and philosophy, Phi Beta Kappa, University Honors (Bronze Tablet)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Federal Trial Bar, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association
– Former Editor, Construction Litigation Committee newsletter
– Co-Chair, Litigation Section, Construction Committee’s Subcommittee on Mediation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Chicago Bar Association, Subcommittee on Construction Law and Mechanics Liens
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Rotary Club of Oak Park-River Forest
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented subcontractor in perfecting and prosecuting its multi-million dollar mechanics lien claim on a high-rise construction project in Chicago.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in defense against a mechanics lien.
- Represented owner in dispute involving construction defects and breach of warranty claim.
- Represented subcontractor in dispute involving an alleged joint venture for high-rise construction project.
- Represented national contractor in dispute involving alleged construction defect of municipal water plant.
- Represented subcontractor in breach of contract claim on high-rise construction project for acceleration damages.
- Represented purchaser/homeowner in dispute involving a developer/vendor’s fraudulent sale of property.
- Represented former beneficiaries of a trust in action against an institutional trustee for breach of trust.
- Represented institutional trustee in litigation regarding potential beneficiaries of a trust and authenticity of trust instrument.
- Represented trustees and executor in litigation involving significant estate dispute.
- Represented lender in multi-million dollar foreclosure and guaranty litigation.
- Represented taxpayer in multi-million dollar tax dispute against the IRS.
- Represented owner in action to obtain an easement for benefit of high-rise building on Michigan Avenue, Chicago.
Mechanics Liens, Guest Lecturer, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Construction Law Course, April 19, 2017